For a brief moment today, I want to talk about gratitude. I don’t know about you, but I can personally say that I do not stop and look around often enough. I do not take into account my blessings often enough. It can be so easy to get lost in the day to day stuff that covers us, that we often forget to just be grateful for all the wonderful things that we have.
Because let me tell you, despite struggles or insecurities or confusion or tragedy, there is so much to be grateful for.
When I was a teenager, I decided one year that I was going to keep a gratitude journal. Every single day from January 1 to December 31 I wrote in a journal every night, one thing that I was grateful for that day. I can honestly say that sometimes it was hard, and sometimes it felt mundane, but overall it is something that I am so, so glad that I did.
So, today, I would just like to share with all of you a few things that I am grateful for:
- Family. I have a spectacular family with a horde of nieces and nephews that I get to help raise. I have no idea where I would be without them.
- Books. For as long as I can remember, books have been a sanctuary and a teacher. They have shaped my life and will continue to do so.
- Friends. I have absolutely incredible friends, people that love and support me through thick and thin, even when I’m being completely unreasonable.
- Learning. I have always loved to learn. True, school is feeling pretty tedious right now, in the heat of summer, but education is something that I completely value and love so much.
- Pizza. Let’s face it, pizza is the best food in the world. Just admit it.
Like I said, these are just a few things that I’m grateful for. There are so many more that I wish I had centuries to list.
Today I just want to invite you to think of the things you’re grateful for. And don’t just acknowledge it yourself, tell the people in your life that you are grateful for them. Tell them you appreciate them.